Pico Island allows visitors the possibility of absolute relaxation, in the contemplation of the unequalled and dazzling land-and seascape. But also their engaging in gratifying activities.
Though the island is devoid of sand beaches, there are many natural pools, of great beauty, boasting warm, inviting waters. Further offshore, one can still swim and dive, go fishing and, in organized trips, watch whales and dolphins.
All over the island you can go hiking or birding, ride a mountain bike or drive a jeep – and then there is the unmissable climb to Pico Mountain, at 7713 ft the country's highest and one of Portugal's 7 Natural Wonders.
There are several museums and musealised sites.
In Summer, there is an endless number of festivities, all with music, animation and the good-tasting local gastronomy. It is also possible, in different periods of the year, to take pleasure in art exhibitions and to attend music, theatre and dance performances.
Day trips to the neighbouring islands of São Jorge and Faial, departing from Pico Island, are equally feasible.
See here some suggestions.
Museums and musealised sites
- Centro de Artes e de Ciências do Mar - Centre for the Arts and Marine Sciences (Lajes)
- Museus dos Baleeiros - Whalers' Museum (Lajes)
- Museu da Indústria Baleeira - Whaling Industry Museum (São Roque)
- Gruta das Torres (Criação Velha), a lava cave system
- Museu do Vinho e da Vinha – Museum of Wine and Vine (Madalena)
- Paisagem da Cultura da Vinha - Landscape of the Pico Island Vineyard Culture (Santa Luzia e Criação Velha). To know more: UNESCO
Pico Mountain and hiking
Seaside Bathing and Swimming
Just a few minutes away from the HomePico Houses, we suggest the natural seawater pools in Arcos, Lajido and Barcas.
Festivities and Festivals
- Santa Maria Madalena (Madalena, 2nd half of July)
- Cais de Agosto (S. Roque, end of July)
- Semana dos Baleeiros (Lajes, last week of August)
Trips to the islands of Faial and São Jorge
- To São Jorge, board the ferry at the Cais do Pico (São Roque) Port. The crossing takes about 30 minutes.
- To FaiaL, board the ferry at the Madalena Port. The crossing takes between 15 and 30 minutes.
Schedules and fares see » Useful Links